Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)

1. Why should I choose the HKMA?

The Hong Kong Management Association was established in 1960. As a non-profit-making professional organization, its mission is to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of management in Hong Kong. For more than four decades, the Association has been dedicated to providing Hong Kong with the management training, skills and experience it needs to succeed. Offering annually over 2,100 training programmes to more than 48,000 participants, HKMA is a major provider of management training and education in the territory. With the necessary resources, experience and, in particular, the support from the community, the Association endeavours to provide a forum where new ideas can be exchanged, where new know-how can be fostered, and where new managers can be trained.
2. I did not pass the HKCEE examination and I am not sure whether I can handle HKMA courses. Is there any course to help improve my standard?

Yes. If you feel you need further study to enable you to complete HKMA courses satisfactorily, you may decide to take some distance-learning certificate programmes, certificate programmes or foundation diploma programmes first. Either, you may decide to take some English Enhancement courses.
3. What programmes are on offer?

The HKMA offfers programmes leading to sub-degree qualifications (i.e. certificate, diploma and professional diploma), bachelor`s degree, master`s degree and doctor`s degree qualification.
4. What course can I study?

HKMA`s courses are classified by levels of study as follows:

Foundation Level
These courses are for Form 5 graduates, which include Springboard programmes, Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination Full-time Intensive Course, Preparatory programmes for Professional Examination, Distance Learning courses, Certificate courses and Foundation Diploma courses.

Middle Level
These courses are at diploma level. A good standard of general education and proficiency in English, with at least 2-3 years` work experience is required.

High Level
These are degree courses. Students should normally have completed diploma courses before registering on these courses.

Postgraduate Level
These are Master`s or Doctorial degree courses.
5. How long will a course last?

In general, distance learning courses and certificate courses last for around 3-4 months; diploma courses last for 1-2 years; bachelor`s and master`s degree courses last for 1.5 to 3 years; doctorial degree course lasts for 6 years.
6. How do I decide what courses to study?

If you do not have any idea what to study, you may complete a simple questionnaire to enable you to assess the appropriate courses for your consideration, or you may search for courses of your interest using the search function.
7. How much time will I need to spend on study?

It depends on the level of courses. For diploma courses or above, students are expected to spend between 15 to 20 hours a week to study. Sometimes, it would require you to study for 30 to 40 hours a week for the duration of your study.
8. Is there any assessment or test for courses?

HKMA programmes are widely recognized for its high quality. For diploma courses, your study will be assessed by continuous assessment throughout the course and an examination will be held at the end of the course. For degree courses, it depends on the requirements of individual programmes.
9. Can I get any financial assistance with course fees?

Yes, there are a number of financial assistance options available to you. They include:

a) The Continuing Education Fund (CEF)

It is a grant scheme which subsidizes Hong Kong residents aged from 18 to 65 to pursue continuing education and training. Eligible applicants will be reimbursed 80% of the programme fees, subject to a maximum sum of HK$10,000 (whichever is the less), on successful completion of a reimbursable course. The fees for more than one reimbursable course may be reimbursed, subject to the maximum ceiling of HK$10,000 per applicant not being exceeded. Courses eligible for reimbursement under the CEF should belong to the following sectors:

- logistics - languages
- financial services - design
- business services - creative industries
- tourism - intrapersonal skills for the workplace

For further details, please visit: or contact CEF 24-hour hotline: 3142 2277

b) Non-means Tested Loan Scheme (NLS)

You may apply for Non-means Tested Loan Scheme if you are Hong Kong citizens aged 21 or above and need financial assistance in any area of study. Under the NLS, tuition fees of HK$1,000 or above on courses with 30 contact hours or more can be covered in full by the loan at an interest rate of 4.382%.

For further details, please visit: or contact NLS hotline: 2150 6223

c) Interest-free Installment Plan

The Association and the Bank of East Asia have introduced the HKMA-BEA Mastercard which offers cardholders an interest-free installment plan for tuition fees of any HKMA courses. Course fees can be paid over a period of 6 to 24 months with a monthly handling fee of 0.3% on the installment amount.

For further details, please contact HKMA Customer Service hotline: 2774 8500-01

d) BEA Education Loans

In-service executives who pursue their studies at the Association also have access to education loans from the Bank of East Asia. Course fees can be paid over a period of 6 to 48 months at an interest rate of P+1% per annum. Students aged 18 or above, with a monthly salary of HK$5,000 or more and one year`s working experience with their current employer, are eligible to apply.

For further details, please contact BEA Consumer Finance Hotline: 2211 1211
10. Is there any deduction of tax for training?

Yes. People who study a course to gain or maintain a qualification for use in any employment which is provided by a qualifying place of education are eligible to apply for tax deduction in respect of the course fees. Most of the HKMA courses and courses run by HKMA in collaboration with overseas institutions fall into this category. Applications for tax deduction should be placed with the Inland Revenue Department via the annual tax return.
11. Will the degree be recognized?

Degree programmes allow in-service executives to study part-time and locally to earn bachelor`s and master`s degree conferred by prestigious oversea universities and recognized world-wide. The degrees awarded by the universities through part-time studies in Hong Kong carry equivalent academic status and recognition to degrees conferred by the universities to local full-time and part-time students overseas.
12. Do my previous qualifications count?

For professional diploma programmes and some degree programmes, applicants who have completed equivalent modules in programmes offered by other institutions may apply for exemptions. Such advance standing and exemption will be granted to pre-validated qualifications. Other qualifications will be considered on a case by case situation. For details, please refer to individual programmes.
13. How can I get more information about the course details?

You may search the course information from the HKMA website or obtain the information from us by mail. Please call our Enrolment Section at 2774-8500 or email us for further information.
14. What are the opening hours?

Please refer to Section of Learning Centres and Library Support for details.