Doctor of Business Administration
University of Wales Trinity Saint David, United Kingdom
15 Feb 2017
You will be informed of the official enrolment procedure in due course.
Registration under Non-Local Higher and
Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance is in progress.
Integration of Theory and Practice
The integration of both theories and practices of management enables in-service executives to gain management knowledge, expertise and insights they require to take on the personal and professional challenges of their future lives and careers. The programme is designed by experts in management education at the University and built on engaged scholarship and evidence-based management to enable students to solve practical issues and complex business problems, with a focus on the development of applied research skills in interdisciplinary areas.
Learn from the Experts
To give students an up-to-date understanding of business practices, the programmes will be taught by local faculty associates comprising senior management executives and professionals who are both academically qualified and professionally experienced. The faculty is a good mix in terms of both education background and professional experience. Capitalizing on HKMA's strong links with the business community, the faculty can incorporate the latest business and management trends in their teaching.
Strong Research Supervision Support
Supervision policy and arrangement are designed in a way to ensure that students' progress and skills acquisition are closely reviewed and due assistance will be offered. In the research stage, every candidate will be assigned to a supervisory team of two members, a Director of Study and a supervisor, approved by the University Research Degrees Committee. Regular formal supervisory sessions will be arranged to enhance the communications between students and supervisors.
Exclusive Networking Opportunity
HKMA's strong network in the business community offers students an exclusive opportunity to keep up on the latest management trends and the top-of-mind issues of CEOs and leading corporations. Throughout the year, the Association organizes various activities including conferences, seminars, talks, and workshops led by local and overseas business leaders and management experts. Students of this programme are entitled to a complimentary one-year HKMA Associate Membership (value at HK$490) which enables them to join many of these activities with privileged or complimentary offers.
Historic & Modern
The University's Royal Charter is the oldest in Wales and England after the universities of Oxford and Cambridge, with HRH the Prince of Wales being the University's Royal Patron. It also became the newest university in 2013 when Swansea Metropolitan University merged into the institution. The University's long-established reputation and its current academic infrastructure and curriculum designs place the University in an advantageous position to serve the talent development needs of modern society.
Significant Research Impact
The University has demonstrated the strength in its research work and the contribution it makes in seeking solutions to real world challenges: 60% of its research work was judged to be either outstanding (23.3%) or very considerable (36.7%) in terms of its reach and significance.
Excellent Postgraduate Research Experience
UWTSD provides excellent postgraduate research learning and supervision experience evidenced by the excellent results it received in an important sector-wide survey:
- 89% of respondents agreed that their skills in critically analysing and evaluating findings and results have developed during their programme.
- 88% of respondents agreed that they understand the required standard for their thesis.
- 88% of respondents agreed that their skills in applying appropriate research methodologies, tools and techniques have developed during their programme.
- 88% of respondents agreed that their supervisor/s have the skills and subject knowledge to support their research.
Excellent Postgraduate Research Experience
In addition to postgraduate research experience, the University also received outstanding results in postgraduate taught experience in an important sector-wide survey:
- 91% of respondents agreed that staff are enthusiastic about what they are teaching.
- 84% of respondents agreed that the course is intellectually stimulating.
- 83% of respondents agreed that the course has enhanced their academic ability.
The programme consists of two parts, taught modules (face-to-face mode) in Part 1 and a Doctoral-level work-based research project in Part 2. Part 1 must be completed successfully before Part 2 can be attempted. The award of Doctor of Business Administration is granted on the successful achievement of 540 credits by completing both parts.
Upon successful completion of the programme, a Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) will be awarded by UWTSD which carries equivalent academic status and recognition to the same DBA degree conferred by the University to the local students in the UK.
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
HK$ 280,000 (by 8 instalments)
- An upper second class Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree relevant to the Doctoral programme with at least three years of recent and relevant management experience.
- Applicants who do not possess the normal minimum entrance qualifications, but hold another professional qualification or have experience at a level which the University considers to be equivalent to, or higher than, that of an upper second class honours degree of a UK University may be considered for candidature on their merits.*
- Interview will be required.
English Language Requirements
- Completion of an academic qualification equivalent to a Master's degree which was taught in English; or
- An overall IELTS test score of 6.5 with a minimum score of 6.5 in both reading and writing components should normally be obtained.